We are a United Methodist Church, located in the heart of South Middleboro, MA.
United by Love Motivated by the Holy Spirit Committed to Walking with Christ
We are rooted and grounded in Jesus and his teaching.
That means we worship and pray together.
It also means we help our neighbors.
And, last but not least, we enjoy one another and the world around us.
A Little Bit of Our History
Information and quotations are from South Middleborough: A History by Michael J. Maddigan.
Our story begins in 1814 when elder Pliny Brett gathered a Methodist congregation in South Middleboro. In 1825 services began in the abandoned Spruce Meetinghouse and a revival soon filled the church with spirited worship. In 1844 the weather beaten meeting house was razed and the present church building was erected. The belfry was added in 1879 and the bell installed. “The bell called worshippers to prayer throughout the week and “tolled solemnly for funeral processions, its jangling tones hurriedly announced a forest fire and prankish tones at midnight welcomed the glorious 4th of July.” (p. 46)
The little red house next to the church has served the community as a Boy Scout meeting place and as the town’s public library. It presently houses the church’s Clothing Cupboard, a used clothing ministry.
“The historic South Middleborough Methodist Church has long stood at the spiritual and geographic heart of the community. The Methodist Sunday School, Women’s Christian Temperance Union, Epworth League, Ladies’ Aid Society, Young People’s League and Methodist Youth Fellowship were all popular church-sponsored organization that gave vibrancy and provided sodality to the community.”
The church continues to serve the community with its Clothing Cupboard, Vacation Bible School, Prayer Bears and Concerts. And, the church continues to bring the gospel of God’s love to the heart of the South Middleboro community.
Vacation Bible School 2018